Tuesday 1 April 2014

6b - Pilot Observation, interview and survey


Pilot observation, Interview and Survey
Pilot Observation
I found that most dance teachers feel observation is crucial when trying to inquire about a particular topic. My pilot observation took place in a primary after school dance class which enabled me to take notes on trends and patterns I observed. I structured my notes into:
-          Structure of the class.
-          Teacher’s personality and strategies used to suit individual learning needs.
-           Student’s general behaviour.
-           Environment of the class.
The pilot observation was a very positive process although I feel I cannot compare findings yet as I have only observed one class and one teacher and every class and teacher will take a divergent approach. Carrying out observations for my inquiry will be a primary way I can asses and explore the use of applied motivational strategies in the dance class. However I learnt that observations are very time consuming and I will have to conduct a series of observations with a realistic time scale so I am not rushed.

Advantages of observations:

- It provided me with direct access to what I was aiming to find out.
- I was able to realise my focuses needed to be more structured, as I felt my results became too broad and vague.
- Observations enabled me to see how students responded to the applied strategies as part of the analysis.
- I feel it will effectively complement other approaches such as interviewing and enhance the quality of evidence.

Disadvantages of observations:

- Very time consuming
- Without specific focuses results become too broad and vague.
- Observations can result in being my own perception and therefore creating headings will help avoid this.
- Observations can result in changes in behaviour in both student and teacher. I need to be aware of this when undertaking the analysis.
- I need to be aware of the sensitivity of observing teachers personalities as this could be quite personal and needs to be avoided at all costs.
Pilot interview
I piloted an interview with my employer who has 25 years experience and teaches dance to a wide variety of ages in school’s and also owns her own dance school. This was a great opportunity to enable me to evaluate the ‘’merits’’ and ‘’limits’’ of the tool. The interview took an ‘’informal’’ ‘’semi structured’’ approach, which I believe worked in many ways as I came away with a lot of positive, useful notes. I found I didn’t ask all of the questions I wanted to ask as we ended up talking for a longer amount of time, in more depth on certain areas which I felt was positive as I got the detail and depth I was aiming for, however made me think of conducting less questions for my next interview so I can get all the answers I need. I also realised it would be a good idea to interview someone I don’t know who is in the industry and see how it changes the structure of the interview, as this was really relaxed and friendly because I knew her well. A positive point about this interview was we used examples of students who we both teach which gave me more insight and understanding as I could relate to what I already know, whereas interviewing a stranger I won’t be able to do this. I really struggled to keep up with taking notes as I was too busy absorbing and taking in the data which is why I have suggested recording my interviews when carrying them out in the next module which will allow me to quote accurately and provide a balanced view of the interview.

Advantages of Interviewing:

- It enabled me to directly ask the 'why' questions to teachers who have knowledge, experience and perceptions about my topic which I could use as evidence.
- Adaptability allowing me to uncover unexpected data.
- I was able to explore the initial answers.
- It was a more personal approach to research.

Disadvantages of Interviewing:

- I had far too many questions which resulted in all questions not being answered.
- I was unable to compare data as I only piloted one interview.
- The interview became really relaxed and friendly and I feel it maybe effected the responses.
- Struggled to take notes as I was too busy listening and absorbing the information.
Pilot Survey
I piloted a survey to My SIG group (BA Hons professional practice students)


 Although I didn’t feel fully certain I would use this tool as part of my research, down to the fact that I didn’t think a survey would give me the detail and depth I was looking for in my inquiry, I thought I would give it a go to see if I got any use from it. Laura Houghton told me my questions seemed to be a little vague, which leads into to much depth. 1 person from my SIG answered my survey and this to me suggested it would be the same when conducting my inquiry, whereas an interview and observation I can set up and prepare for and know it will happen but with a survey I can’t make people answer it. From reviewing surveys I found that the ones that were more to the point and simple where the ones that I didn’t actually mind completing. Some surveys asked far too many in-depth questions which I didn’t really have the time to answer. I then noticed mine was actually an in depth survey. This really did answer my question on including a survey as a tool of research and my answer was no based on the detail and depth I intend to gain whilst conducting my inquiry, I feel a survey would be a waste of mine and others time and not provide much use for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment