Monday 16 December 2013

Task 3c - Sources of information


Task 3c – Sources of information
During this task I have realised how important the sources of information we rely on for our own professional needs are. I have noticed people have a wide range of different sources but I do believe we can all take some knowledge and information from each and everyone’s different sources and use them somewhere within our own professional life. I reflected on my day-to-day life and thought about what sources I use and gain most from and I came up with these 5.
Communication
Communication on a daily basis professionally or none professionally proves to be one of the most vital, important and strongest sources of networking within my professional practice. Communicating with the other teachers I work with about a child’s progress or how a child is behaving, up coming shows, exams or events taking place and planning lessons which allow me to gain knowledge and learn new strategies from the experienced teachers. After each lesson I communicate and reflect to them how I feel I am getting on, what I am learning and what I feel I am struggling with, they give me there time to reflect back how they feel I am doing and what progress they see me making, what type of teacher they can see me developing into and most of all what I can do to improve my teaching quality. Having this network of experienced teachers around me whom I’m able to communicate with is a huge advantage for me and my practice. A good network communicates well and shares thought and ideas in order to progress as a whole and I feel I have this network around me enabling me to communicate well with the students and other teachers on a professional level. Communicating through friends is also an important source of networking and is a great and efficient way to gather information since most of my friends are in the same industry either dancing professionally/auditioning or teaching, so meeting up or over the phone and communicating can result in me finding out about an audition or casting, learning about results they are seeing from teaching or generally finding out information about what is going on and happening in the industry if I don’t already know so providing me with knowledge that I maybe couldn’t gain on my own. It is also a great way to develop relationships and keep in touch with your friends, gain support or advice or vice versa, giving support and advice to your friends.
Web 2.0
Since being introduced to web 2.0 in detail at the beginning of the module I have came to the understanding that web 2.0 is crucial in almost every professionals working life. Facebook, twitter and blogging are not only used to keep up to date with the latest information or trends but also can be used to keep in touch with friends and family all over the world. I can also receive information on audition details or castings on the likes of ‘the hustle’ a group on facebook which helps open up opportunities in my career. Using emails professionally as a way of communication, enquiring about jobs, submitting CV’S, finding out knowledge and information is all done through the use of Web 2.0. Using Google maps allows me to find locations quick and efficiently whether it is an audition I am attending, a new school I am teaching at or generally meeting up with friends in places I am not familiar with. The internet allows me to function within my current professional practice offering so many platforms to help me develop as a professional. I can receive information as well as promote and advertise myself on the likes of YouTube, however I do need to take into account the ethical considerations of using web 2.0 which I have spoken about in greater detail at the beginning of the module whilst also making sure how reliable the sources of information I am using are, for example; anyone can alter and change the information on Wikipedia and it may not always be true, it is then down to me to decide how reliable the source of information is and whether I choose to use it or do further research if needed.
iPhone
Without my iPhone I would be lost. I have it with me all day everyday allowing people to contact me directly by call, text,whatsapp or email meaning there is always a way for an open line of communication to be available between me and others within my network. With everything being so fast paced in today’s day I believe that my iPhone provides me with the tools allowing me to keep up with the pace. Web 2.0 is used through my iPhone, if I need to send an email or check an email whilst out and about my iPhone provides me with tools to do so, if I need to find a location whilst out my iPhone will allow me to find this information quick and efficiently. I can use my iPhone to research information on Google about almost anything I need whilst I am out. For me my iPhone provides me with a sense of security knowing I can always make a call or find out important information if needs be. This source is something I cannot be without enabling me to keep on track of everything wherever I am in the world.
Social networking
Social networking links in with web 2.0 but I feel this is a very useful source of information needed for my professional networking. Although I believe social networking is very exposing in a sense that everyone you have as a friend on facebook or twitter can see everything you are up to in your daily life (if you choose to show this) whilst on the other hand I believe it is an important source to have. Facebook can be used to keep in touch with professionals I have met or professionals I would like to find information from, most of my friends on facebook are professionals in the industry either on tour, in the west end, working for established companies, teaching  or working in the commercial world. This is great for me to see what is going on and what is new and upcoming. It is quite often they write statuses about a new musical coming out or an audition they have attended or what auditions are coming up allowing me to ask questions and gather information if needed. I can keep up to date with almost everything on twitter whether it is the goings on of others in the industry or things I am passionate about i.e. health and fitness enabling me to follow almost anyone and everything that inspires me. I also use my iPhone to check facebook and twitter whilst on the go often finding out things which help me gain and gather sufficient information and knowledge. When using social media sites I strongly believe it is paramount that you are careful and wary. I make sure my settings are all in place and information is only shown to those whom I want it to be shown to whilst also being aware of what I choose to share taking ethical considerations into account allowing my professional reputation to stay in tact.
Other people and their networks
Everyone has a wide range of networks and different sources of information which I believe can be used somewhere within my professional network. I often get chatting to people in my daily life whether it is at yoga, at the gym or at work and I ended up finding out more information and knowledge than I set out to find. An example being I got chatting to a girl at a yoga class the other week and found out she was a dance teacher, as that is what I am aiming to do professionally in the future I thought it would be a good opportunity to find out information on:
-Where is taught
-What styles of dance she taught
-What age group she taught
-How she got into it
-How long it took her to get into it
-Who she knows
Finding out all of this information was useful to me giving me an insight into the professional career I am aiming for. After telling me where she taught I used the web 2.0 tool on my iPhone and researched information on the company she worked for as I believe gathering information about the field I want to go into is crucial. Sometimes you don’t realise how important other people and their networks are. I spoke about it in an earlier blog that my mum was the one who got me the teaching job as she came in contact with the lady I now work for. The saying ‘it’s not what you know, it’s who you know’ has been mentioned quite a lot on other peoples blogs during this module and although I believe you do need correct knowledge and information on your chosen industry, I also feel you need a good strong platform of networks around you.
I have noticed my 5 sources of information link together and all form a synergy and without one of them the other wouldn’t manage properly.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie,

    Trying my best to trawl my way through Task 3d and read others blogs and you impress me with the amount you can write ! I do struggle sometimes to get in the mode which I hope you do too otherwise you will make me feel very inferior !!
    Just wanted to refer to your source of information as the ever trusted iphone and agree with you thats its a must have ! I too have listed it as one of my 5 'best friends' in relation to information and would struggle to exist without it ! Being able to access most things from a gadget is an asset I'm not sure how we survived before its existence.

    Keep working hard, writing lots :)

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo,

    I really struggle with trying to condense my work and not write so much! As I have been working on my critical reflection and editing it I am finding it really hard to not ramble on so much. I started off with 2500 words and the hardest part has been condensing all the information I want to talk about into very few words. How are you finding it?
    I also do struggle with getting into the mode! Sometimes I have days where I am on a roll and other days I sit reading for hours with hardly anything to write so dont worry I think most people are the same! In regards to the iphone its scary how much I rely on it these days, so important to have with me and don't think I could go a day without it!

    Anyways hope you had a lovely christmas and your critical reflection is going well :)

    Mel

    ReplyDelete